Thursday, January 16, 2014


CROCKER FARM MURAL PROJECT
Please Join us January 21st 6:30-7:30


From the PGO:

We are very excited to announce that this year we have a very talented and enthusiastic guest artist, Joshua Winer, coming to work with all of the students at Crocker Farm School from April 1-17, 2014!  All students and teachers will be involved in the process of planning and creating a beautiful mosaic that will pictorially tell some of the story of Crocker Farm School and the land on which it rests.  Parents will also be offered opportunities to work on the mural with their children during several after school and evening sessions. Come learn more about Joshua’s work directly from him.

Meet in the Crocker Farm Cafeteria, January 21, 2014, from 6:30-7:30.  Please arrive on time.  Joshua will share about the work that he does  and parents will be able to ask questions about the process, what their children will experience and how he will involve families as well.  If you have any questions about this parent meeting, please call Laura Ginsberg-Peltz, Mural Project Representative working alongside Justyne Ogdahl, PGO President.  Laura can be reached at 401-288-2787 or oceanlaura@gmail.com.

From Joshua Winer:

I'm Joshua Winer, an artist who specializes in working with schools and communities to create works of mosaic art. I'm passionate about sharing the experience of collaborative art making. I've worked with many different communities to create mosaic murals, in my hometown of Boston, in regional cities and towns, and across the United States. The mosaic art form is ideal for community art. Creating a large mosaic is the coming together of many hands, minds, talents and spirits. There is so much satisfaction and joy in sharing this process!

I studied painting at Yale as a college student, then studied architecture at Harvard for graduate studies. I worked as an architect for about 10 years, all the while creating large painted murals. In 1991 I started working as a full-time artist and teacher. My first large mosaic, commissioned by The Meadowbrook School of Weston MA, was a 'Tree of Life' for the outside wall of the school's parking circle. With this project, I experienced for the first time the amazing value that the community mosaic process provides as a way of creating hands-on public art. This was a powerful formative experience for the mosaic work I do now.


I work with about five to ten schools and community groups per year, specifically on group mosaic murals. This daily work allows me fulfill my love of working on art closely with people, being a guide, a teacher, a partner and a friend. Every new community offers me a professional and personal adventure as we share a wonderful, focused experience creating art.